Harbor View House was dedicated as the Army and Navy Y.M.C.A. in 1926 and served as a recreation center for servicemen at Fort MacArthur, offering 300 dormitory rooms, a gymnasium, running track, banquet room, patio, pool, boxing and wrestling rooms and a coffee shop. During World War II it provided recreation and temporary quarters for over four million men during World War II, and was visited by celebrities, including Bob Hope and Lucille Ball.
The facility was converted to civilian use in 1947, offering accommodations to young travelers and senior citizens. Many longtime San Pedro residents worked out, played basketball, learned how to swim, lived and even met their future spouses here.
In 1968, the building was sold to Western Regional Development (WRD) and leased to the newly formed non-profit corporation, San Pedro Residential Center, Inc. d.b.a. Harbor View House, offering housing for the mentally ill. At that time the Adult Residential Facility was first licensed by the California Department of Social Services at a rate $6.42 per day. In February 1972 the Intermediate Care Nursing Unit was licensed for 83 beds by the California Department of Health Services with a rate of $10.79 per day. It was designated as a Los Angeles County Historic-Cultural Monument in August, 1982.
The corporation changed its name from San Pedro Residential Center, Inc. to HealthView, Inc. in 1995 to better reflect its mission statement and diversity of services it strives to offer including senior assisted living, dementia care and home health care. In 1996, it launched Life Care Plus, now HealthView Home Health, Inc., a Medicare/MediCal certified, JACHO accredited home health agency. In 2000 the Living Museum Art Center was created, followed by the Performing Arts Center in 2007, as part of Harbor View House’s expressive arts program. HealthView, Inc. continued to grow to include the HealthView Behavioral Services Center in 2007 and the HealthView Wellness Center in 2008.